PROCEDURE SCHEDULING• Your Surgical Coordinator will submit all the necessary information to the center to start the process and schedule your procedure.
• A Registered Nurse will get in touch with you prior to the day of the procedure to go over your medical history. During the Pre-Assessment call they will give you specific instructions regarding your procedure. This is the time to disclose all your daily medication and medical information and ask any questions or concern you may have.
• If you have not been reached by 3 pm the day before your procedure please call: (973) 842-2150.
• Please remember to be NPO (nothing per mouth) after midnight the night before. This includes water, candy or gum.
• If you take Blood Pressure medication in the morning take it with a sip of water.
• Some medication such as aspirin, aspirin containing compounds, Coumadin, Plavix or Pradaxa impair the body’s ability to form a clot and stop bleeding. If approved by your cardiologist or medical doctor STOP taking blood thinners ____ days prior your procedure. This can be further discussed with our nursing staff if needed at the time of your Pre-Assessment call. Refer to attached list for a complete medication list.
• You may not participate in any type of clinic medication trial (including Patch Tests) prior to your procedure.
• Please inform our staff of any allergies.
TRANSPORTATION• Please note that since you are receiving anesthesia or light sedation that day you WILL NOT be able to drive home.
• You will need to make arrangements for transportation.
• The Surgi-Center provides self-parking for your convenience.
BEFORE THE PROCEDUREYou will be contacted by a representative to let you know your Arrival Time.
• Do not smoke 24 hrs before or after your procedure. This will irritate your lungs.
• Do not drink alcohol 24 hrs before or after your procedure.
• Female patients: please REMOVE all nail polish and artificial nails before your procedure date. They can’t be removed at the facility.
THE DAY OF THE PROCEDUREIf you have been asked to take routine or other medication on the morning of your procedure please take them with a small sip of water.
• Wear loose and comfortable clothes and flat shoes.
• Leave all valuables/jewelry/money at home. The Surgi-center is not responsible for any items.
• Please remove any body piercings.
• Bring your picture ID and insurance cards. For Workman’s Comp cases you will need to provide adjuster’s information.
• If you wear contact lenses, please bring your glasses with you.
• After your procedure is done you will be taken to the Recovery Room were you will be given a snack like coffee or tea and crackers or cookies. If you are a diabetic patient feel free to bring a snack of your choice for after the procedure.
• If you are asked to get Medical Clearance or Pre-Op Testing from your Primary Care Physician (PCP) or another specialist we will need written documentation no later than 3 days prior to your procedure. It is the patient’s responsibility to obtain the necessary testing done prior to your procedure.
• If we do not obtain the necessary Medical Clearance or preadmission testing before the required time, we may cancel your procedure until all paperwork is in order.
• The use of cell phones is prohibited in ALL AREAS.
AFTER YOUR PROCEDURE• Immediately notify our office is you develop a fever, chills, excess incision drainage, numbness, and swelling.
• Your post-op appointment is scheduled for ___________________________________________.
• Rest is advised. You don’t have to be on full bed rest but please avoid any heaving lifting or strenuous activity for 48 hours.
• Ice: Apply ice packs as much as possible for the first 3-4 days in 20 minutes intervals. Continue to use ice until your post-op visit and then you will be given further instruction. Never use ice in direct contact to your skin, note that the more ice you use the less inflammation you will have.
• Dressing change: ____________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________
• Shower:_____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________
• You will receive pain medication at the center after your procedure. In some cases patients are sent home with a prescription for pain medication, it is very important that you have an adult fill out this prescription after you get home so it’s available to you when your next dose is due.
• Avoid heat to the area that has been treated 48 hours after the procedure. Ice may be used if necessary.
• Pool use or tub submersion is not allowed until ______ hours after your procedure. Showering is allowed ______ hours after the procedure, please remove wet band aids.
• No bath or Jacuzzi use are allowed until doctor’s future advised.